Sunday, 5 December 2010

Decorating for the Holidays: Poinsettias

A real poinsettia and my napkin poinsettia
The holidays are approaching and its time to start decorating! The only problem is, I've been waiting until my next paycheck to get started. But December is here and I just couldn't wait any longer, so I made my own holiday poinsettias to bring some Christmas spirit into my little place.

Supplies:
1. Ruby Red Holiday Napkins: $1 (Dollar Tree)
2. Gold and Silver Glitter: ~$1 (I already had mine, Walgreens)
3. Wire or String (Whichever will work, I had wire available)
4. Scissors
5. Glue

Making the inside of the flower.
First, I created the inside of the flower. I cut the edges off one of the napkins, so the inside would be smaller than the petals. Then, I unfolded the napkin and added glue around the edges. Next, I sprinkled glitter on the glue. Last, I removed the excess glitter and set the napkin out to dry.

Six steps for finishing the poinsettia.
Making the flower was just as simple. I unfolded three napkins and stacked them with one of the glittered napkins unfolded on top. Then, I folded the stack back and forth (like a fan), with each fold about one inch apart. Next, I cut a small piece of wire and wrapped it around the center of the "fan" (remember, you can also use string). To create a petal shape, I cut a diaganol across each end of the "fan." The last step was fun, I slowly began to pull each napkin apart on both sides of the wire until I was happy with the end shape.

My poinsettias on display!
I've seen flowers like this on some of the blogs I read (Here is a tutorial from Made that gives ideas for flowers you could have in your home all year round and there are also tutorials on EHow), I also remember making them in elementary school and seeing them in wedding rehearsal bouquets. I wanted to put my own holiday twist on a classic craft project. If your holiday budget is tight this year and you cannot afford to decorate, make these poinsettias! They cost only $1 to make and now it actually feels like Christmas in my home.

No comments:

Post a Comment