Sunday, 14 November 2010

IKEA Fun--Photo Boxes and Other Great Finds

IKEA KASSET boxes before and after.

This weekend my boyfriend and I took a trip to IKEA and had such a great time. I spent $21 and left with a bunch of items that I can’t wait to incorporate into my new home. In this post I want to show how I turned a two pack of IKEA KASSET boxes(intended for holding CDs) into two customized photo boxes, but I’ll also share my other IKEA finds.


Many of the supplies I used for this project were being reused. The paint is the same paint I used to decorate my Kitchen Hutch and the Modge Podge, and paint brushes I already had. The finished boxes cost me about $6, because the boxes and the scrapbooking paper were all I had to buy. At IKEA they have KASSET boxes like this that are already decorated, but they were much more expensive. Those boxes inspired me to decorate my own; I knew it would be cheaper to do it myself and I knew I would be happier with the custom design.

The supplies I used for this project.

Supplies:

1. Two Pack Kasset holders: $3.95 (IKEA)

2. Two Scrapbooking Papers: $0.59

3. Modge Podge Lustre Finish: $3.99-$9.99(depending on size)(Micheal’s)

4. Paint: $0.50 each (Micheal’s)

5. Paint Brushes

6. Scissors

Steps one, two and three for decorating the boxes.

Decorating the boxes was simple and took only three easy steps.

Step 1: First, I cut out the shapes that I wanted and glued them with the Modge Podge onto the KASSET. With the box that has pictures on it, I did the same thing. Just cut and glued the pictures onto the box.


Step 2: After I glued on the paper I began to paint. I painted whatever design I wanted. On one box I painted a flower stem, and the other stripes.


Step 3: Last, I painted over the entire boxes with Modge Podge. The Modge Podge appears white, but dries clear. It puts a protective seal over the paper and paint.

This is a great project for anyone who has tons of pictures. I work at Walgreens One Hour Photo so I'm making prints all the time and have no where to put them; frames and albums can get expensive and only hold so many photos. I've already thrown all of my prints inside the boxes and its great. If I want to show someone the pictures I just hand the box over and let them sift through.

All of my IKEA purchases: the KASSET boxes, clock and shelf.

At IKEA I also bought a shelf and clock. The clock was $5.95 and each piece of the shelf was $3. IKEA is great for anyone on a college budget, and shopping there is just a fun way to spend an afternoon. They have tons of rooms put together with their products that customers can walk through, and you can even stay for lunch--they have a food court with tasty, inexpensive food. We were in the store for two and a half hours and left feeling like we had gone on a fun date!

No comments:

Post a Comment